عنوان مقاله [English]
Estrogen depletion in postmenopausal women and ovariectomized animals causes abnormalities in lipid metabolism, weight gain and fat accumulation in non-adipose tissues such as liver. On the other hand, estrogen replacement therapy may cause side effects including breast cancer. Olive leaf is a significant source of bioactive phenolic compounds with antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and radical scavenging capacity. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effects of Olive Leaf Extract (OLE) on liver enzymes, serum lipid profileand atherogenic index. For this purpose, 21 female Wistar rats were randomly allocated into 3 groups: 1- control (intact animals), 2- ovariectomized: OVX ( ovaries removed by surgery) and 3- treatment group (OVX+received OLE) Which received 100 mg/kg OLE in 0.5 ml drinking water using gavage for 8 weeks. At the end of the treatment, levels of liver enzymes and serum lipid profiles were measured. Body weight was increased significantly in OVX group in comparison to control group (p˂0.05). Also, Ovariectomy significantly increased liver enzymes, lipids and lipoproteins in comparison to control group (p˂0.05).This study showed that oral administration of 100 mg/kg/day of OLE for 8 weeks can prevent increase of lipid profile, liver enzymes and atherogenic index in serum of ovariectomized rats.
● Ahmadvand, H., Noori, A., Ghasemi Dehnoo, M., Bagheri, S. and Cheraghi, R. (2014). Hypoglycemic, hypolipidemic and antiatherogenic effects of oleuropein in alloxan-induced Type 1 diabetic rats. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Disease, Supple 1: 421-425.
●Al-Majed, A.A., Al-Omar, F.A. and Nagi, M.N. (2006). Neuroprotective effects of Thymoquinine against transient forebrain ischemia in the rat hippocampus. European Journal of Pharmacology, 543(1-3): 40-47.
● Babaei, P., Mehdizadeh, R., MoeinAnsar, M. and Damirchi, A. (2010). Effects of ovariectomy and estrogen replacement therapy on visceral adipose tissue and serum adiponectin levels in rats. Menopause International, 16: 100-104.
● Ghosian Moghaddam, M.H., Masomi, Y. and Razavian, M. (2013). The effect of oral consumption of olive leaves on serum glucose level and lipid profile of diabetic rats. Journal of Basic and Clinical Pathophysiology, 1(2): 39-44.
● Jemai, H., Fki, I., Bouaziz, M, Bouallagui, Z., ELFeki, A. and Isoda, H. (2008). Lipid-Lowering and Antioxidant Effects of Hydroxytyrosol and Its Triacetylated Derivative Recovered from Olive Tree Leaves in Cholesterol-Fed Rats. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 56(8): 2630-2636.
● Mohagheghi, F., Bigdeli, M.R., Rasoulian, B., Hashemi, P. and Pour, M.R. (2011). The neuroprotective effect of olive leaf extract is related to improved blood-brain barrier permeability and brain edema in rat with experimental focal cerebral ischemia. Phytomedicine, 18(2-3): 170-175.
● Muñoz-Castañeda, J.R., Muntané, J., Herencia, C., Muñoz, M.C., Bujalance, I., Montilla, P., et al. (2006). Ovariectomy exacerbates oxidative stress and cardiopathy induced by Adriamycin. Gynecology Endocrinology, 22(2): 74-79.
● Nasirzadeh, M.R., Khayat Nouri, M.H., Nourazar, A.R. and Rahmani, J. (2011). Effect of metabolic soy extract on serum levels of lipid and lipoproteins in ovariectomized rats. Feyz, 15(2): 91-7. [In Persian]
● Nan, J.N., Ververis, K., Bollu, S., Rodd. A.L., Swarup, O. and Karagiannis, T.C. (2014). Biological effects of the olive polyphenol, hydroxytyrosol: An extra view from genome-wide transcriptome analysis. Hellenic Journal of Nuclear Medicine, 17(1): 62-69.
● Omar, S.H. (2010a). Oleuropein in olive and its pharmacological effects. Scientia Pharmaceutica, 78(2): 133-154.
● Omar, S.H. (2010b). Cardio protective and neuroprotective roles of oleuropein in olive. Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal, 18(3): 111-121.
● Oh, H.Y., Lim, S., Lee, J.M., Kim, D.Y., Ann, E.S. and Yoon, S. (2007). A combination of soy isoflavone supplementation and exercise improves lipid profiles and protects antioxidant defense-systems against exercise-induced oxidative stress in ovariectomized rats. BioFactors, 29(4): 175-185.
● Olarewaju, M.O., Onyeneke, E.C., Godwin, C.O. and Eidangbe, G.O. (2009). Effects of soy protein on selected enzymes in tissues of rats fed a cholesterol diet. International Journal of Medicine and Medical Sciences, 1(9): 400-406.
●Olmez, E., Vural, K., Gok, S., Ozturk, Z., Kayalar, H., Ayhan, S., et al. (2015). Olive leaf extract improves the atherogenic lipid profile in rats fed a high cholesterol diet. Phytotherapy Research, 10.1002/ptr.5445.
● Özlem, S., Aslan, T. and Tülay, A.Ç. (2013). Antioxidant, cytotoxic and apoptotic activities of extracts from medicinal plant Euphorbia platyphyllosL. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research, 7(19): 1293-1304.
● Rodrigues, M.F., Stotzer, U.S., Domingos, M.M., Deminice, R., Shiguemoto, G.E., Tomaz, L.M., et al. (2013). Effects of ovariectomy and resistance training on oxidative stress markers in the rat liver. Clinics, 68(9): 1247-1254.
● Salim, S.A. (2013). Thymoquinone Treatment Alleviate Ovariectomy-Induced Hepatic Oxidative Damage in Rats. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science, 3(6): 126-131.
● Shinoda, M., Latour, M.G. and Lavoie, J.M. (2002). Effects of physical training on body composition and organ weights in ovariectomized and hyperstrogenic rats. International Journal of Obesity, 26(3): 335-343.
● Tavafi, M., Ahmadvand, H. and Toolabi, P. (2012). Inhibitory Effect of Olive Leaf Extract on Gentamicin-induced Nephrotoxicity in Rats. Iranian Journal of Kidney Diseases, 6(1): 25-32.
● Vuković, R., Blažetić, S., Oršolić, I.H.M., Vari, S.G., Gajdoš, M. (2014). Impact of ovariectomy, high fat diet, and lifestyle modifications onoxidative/antioxidative status in the rat liver. Croatian Medical Journal, 55(3): 218-227.